The film, Gravity, didn't even attempt to give us a cosmological view.
Interstellar had good intentions, but got hung up in a blackhole.
Our most-visible space entrepreneurs – Richard Branson, Elon Musk, Paul Allen, and Jeff Bezos (Virgin Galactic, SpaceX , SpaceShipOne of Stratolaunch and Blue Origin respectively) — are each working hard and investing heavily to open new ways to outer space. NASA and a few professors like Carl Sagan once owned the domain. Certainly it has included some of our best science fiction writers. The blockbuster producers of major motion pictures like Star Wars, Star Trek, 2001, A Space Odyssey, Gravity, ET, Contact, and Close Encounters, teased the imaginations of the public, but did very little to teach.
Interstellar was to change the SciFi metaphor. They surely tried. They had the best of the best to help shape their narratives, including Cal Tech's gravitational-black hole expert, Kip Thorne (author, The Science of Interstellar). But what can we expect when the working concepts of today's scientific elite still do not include an integrated Universe View? How can we hope for a new model if our old paradigms don't shift a bit?
New Narratives: ?????? Just think what might have happened if a production like Star WarsVII incorporated iconic storylines where our four space entrepreneurs (pictured above) had a role. Just think what would happen if the best of future science fiction movies built upon each other's themes and developed a meta-reality which clearly beckoned us all into the future.
New concepts and ideas can be communicated in the drama of a major theatrical production. These four people could make a huge difference. Educate the public? No, these folks could mesmerize the world.
Let us look at four very simple facts that sound more like science fiction, but these alone truly engender the imagination to see things in new ways:
1. 201+ base-2 exponential notations. That takes us from the smallest possible measurement of a length to the largest; that is from the Planck Length to the Observable Universe. That seems unbelievable, but it is true. Simple math. Add some simple geometries and magic happens. Within our most speculative visions, we ask, "Why not try to apply the work with amplituhedrons (new window) and the Langlands program (new window) as a partial definition for the transformations between notations (layers, domains, doublings, or steps)?" There is a certain magic that happens when you envision the universe in 205+ steps. Perhaps it will only be a metaphor or possibly a new intellectual art form. It may be, as the intellectual elites might say, "Not Even Wrong," but what fun the rest of us can have learning a little about an ordered universe and about the limitations of thought!
2. There is no concurrence about the first 60 notations. These notations are not acknowledged by the general scientific community, so none per se have been knowingly used experimentally! So, be speculative. Use this domain with its no less than a quintillion vertices to construct primal machines. Be bold. Develop a simple logic to control gravity. Extend it to create enormous reserves of a most basic energy that gives rise to quantum fluctuations. Develop logical-albeit-quite-imaginative constructs that educate and challenge us to understand "Beam me up, Scotty!" Have fun and put down that gun (symbolic or otherwise).
3. Work the ratios between all 201+ to 202 notations and the natural groupings and sets. That range is naturally divided in half, and then by thirds, fourths, fifths and so on.
Consider the halfway point. Within the 101st notation is the human hair, within the 102nd notation is the width of the piece of paper, within the 103rd notation is the egg (and the sperm is at 100). Yes, there is a concrescence for life in this middle of this definition of the universe. From here we go on out to discover the remaining 101 to 103+ exponential notations to the Known or Observable Universe.
4. Consider the potential magic within the thirds. Physical things emerge between notations 67 and 80. That includes all the particles, all the atoms and all the elements of the periodic table. That is the transition from the small scale to the human scale.
Now, consider the transition from the human scale to the large scale. It is highly speculative yet entirely within the scope of a vivid imagination to expect that the Einstein-Rosen tunnels and bridges, commonly known as wormholes (possibly good for inter-galactic travel, just might begin to emerge between notations 136 and 138. That's in the range of the two-thirds transition. And, that would put them in the range of 874 to 3500 miles above the earth. The International Space Station is anywhere from 230 to 286 miles above the earth and geosynchronous satellites are around 35,786 kilometers or 22,236 miles above the earth's equator.
A Dream: Develop a cooperative production studio area that incorporates a space elevator that becomes a major edutainment sector whereby the public can actually begin to participate in the most extraordinary educational scenes of major science fiction productions. Surely, the drama of a meteor shower might be part of it taking scenes directly out of Gravity.
Editor's Notes: Most of the links stay within the domain of the primary URL displayed above. Some links go to a Wikipedia reference and open in a new window or tab. Also, many of these short articles have been duplicated on other sites. The three primary sites are Small Business School, where the very first reflections about the Big Board-little universe and its Universe Table were first posted in January 2012. You will also find these postings in several inter-related WordPress pages and within LinkedIn pages. The related Facebook and Blogger pages will be included eventually.
Track the International Space Station
Catch the spirit! You can actually see the ISS going overhead with the naked eye. NASA posts its minute-by-minute flight path.
Engage Science in A New Way
• The Early Stages of a Paradigm Shift
• Is There Order In The Universe?
• Finite or Infinite? Is That The Question?
• Did a Quiet Expansion precede the Big Bang?
• The Good in Science, Business, and Religion
• Everything Starts Most Simply. Could the
Planck Length Become The Next Big Thing?
• Tilings & Tessellations
• Planck Time- Planck Length Chart
• Just What's Happening Here?
Ten-step tour of the Universe
Touch down on ten different areas from two charts of the universe and get a little overview of both (always under construction).
– Introduction / Tour Overview:
– The Planck Length
– Step 202-to-206: Observable Universe
– Step 101 to 103: In the middle of the universe
– Step 116: A child within
– Step 97: Our caveat and a little blood
– Step 84: A water molecule
– Step 66: Proton-Fermion
– Steps 1-65: Almost too small for words
– Steps 136: Transition to the Large Scale
– Steps 158-180: From Solar System to Superclusters